There is so much to do on the Dominion & New England. I’ve been working a lot these days and time has been a little hard to find. Still I make some progress even if it’s only 20 minutes after a late dinner. Finished with benchwork on the opposite wall and set the roadbed for the turn back curve but this area will likely lay fallow for some time as I focus on St. George proper.
It’s that golden time with the layout in its salad days. Lucky for me, this will be the case for years to come as the D&NE grows organically around the room. Everything is going on at once — trackwork, wiring, scenery, model building — and the room looks it! Once St. George has enough trackage to operate, progress will likely slow as attention switches to building rolling stock and switching out St. George!
I tend to get lost in too many projects at once. I’m in a bit of a rush to get some portion of the layout presentable with a little operating equipment on the track. Remembering that adage, finish what you start, I’m setting some priorities for the next few months. Here is what I’m focusing on right now:
- Initial scenery. I want to get some shape and color going on the north end of St. George to see how things will look. It’s also nice to have some area a little finished so visitors can get an idea of where you’re headed. Have a nice start on that. Needed to get some ground cover at the rear area behind the station so I can add the front siding. Reaching back there is going to be tough once that siding is in.
- Get the 44 tonner on the track! I went off on a tangent with the idea of converting to a micromotor/crossbox drive but since have come to my senses. So it’s back to finishing the P48 conversion with the original can motor/worm drive. I’ll wire the motors in series to slow things down and join the pickup leads from both trucks so it has full eight wheel pickup. Might as well get the sound decoder and speaker installed while I’m at it. The only thing needed on the body is to add MU connectors to the end platforms so it can run in tandem with the 70 tonner. The body needs a good cleaning and then etch primer. I’ve decided to go with Scalecoat paint. Leaning toward a dark blue color with a cream hood top and red dividing stripe. (Shades of the L&N?) Lettering will be sparse until I get artwork done for custom decals. Oh, and glass in the windows.
- Scratch build the St. George station in styrene. Based largely on the B&M Peterborough, NH depot, this building will be a little worn but not down and out. Styrene is a great material to work with for structures of this type if care is taken to knock down the sheen. Siding will be New England clapboards laid up board by board in 0.015″ styrene. The windows and doors are mostly Tichy but many with extensive modification. Color scheme for D&NE railroad structures is deep yellow, dark green windows, doors and wainscoting with white trim boards.
- With the 44 tonner in operation I’ll need to get the DCC buses strung and connect the drops.
- Final touch ups on the trackwork with oil washes and pan pastels.
- Finally, add roadbed and trackwork for the front siding and attach the first bit of fascia.
With this work done, the layout will have a small area in something closer to a finished state and I can run some trains. Then it will be on to the French River crossings.