Model Building · Proto48

New Power for the D&NE!

DSCN3136
D&NE 57, a RY Models GE 70 Tonner, Phase 2

New power in the form of an RY Models GE 70 Tonner, Phase 2, has arrived in St.George. The boys in the shop have a little work to do. The locomotive is gauged for standard O scale (Ow5) and will need it’s axles machined and wheels replaced for P48. The couplers will be replaced with new “E” face couplers.

It needs a few minor details. The end platforms will get MU connectors as I plan to get another unit one day. I could just do the cab end as they’ll always MU cab to cab. Actually, I’ll MU it with the 44 tonner too. (Did you know some 44 tonners were MU equipped? W&OD 58, Aroostook Valley 11 and 12 come to mind.) Maybe that’s all I’ll do.

After a thorough cleaning, it will get a coat of etch primer then black Scalecoat, lightened somewhat and with a dash of blue. White stripes on the end of the hood and white handrails. Lettering, once I get off my duff and do the artwork for the decals, will be yellow (imitation gold?) and much in the style of W&OD 57. I plan to hijack my herald design from the inverted triangle used by the W&OD.

My other GE unit, RY Models 44 tonner number 48, has been languishing on the workbench. After converting it to P48, I had started to repower it with Faulhaber 59:1 micromotors and 2:1 climax gearboxes which I had on hand. It works but I’m not sure the delrin gears and crossbox will hold up. And thinking ahead, I’ll want to MU it with the 70 tonner so the speeds should match. So I’m going to go back to the original drive on the truck I converted which means machining a replacement axle since I machined the original for the crossbox. Oh well. That’s the way the story goes. First your money and then your clothes.

The slower running I was after can be had by wiring the motors in series and I’ll do that on both units. They’ll both get DCC sound decoders and LED headlights.

Number 48 will need an MU connector on one end. It will be painted in the style of W&OD 48, black with a gray hood top and a thin red stripe separating the colors. I always wondered if it was dark blue and gray (you know, civil war, blue and gray) but the color photos I’ve seen show black and gray. I’ve also toyed with the idea of painting the hood top cream. We’ll see.

I have thought about more colorful paint but in this period I don’t think it wasn’t all that common on shortline switchers. I just need to back off the black a bit with a little blue so they don’t appear as dark blobs.


 

As a side story, I bought this unit from a fellow modeler over ebay. When he shipped it from Colorado, the P.O. clerk mistyped my Zip code (08109 instead of 03109) and then picked a house in Merchantville, New Jersey that was number 170 on a street that started with “P”. I watched the in transit details for over a week as it bounced between the sorting center in Nashua NH (20 miles from here) and Merchantville NJ. I stopped at our local P.O. and got them to bring up the package label scan and saw what had happened. After some encouragement from the seller, the P.O. quickly redirected the package and I got it the next day. Talk about Charlie on the MTA. I would have never seen that package. And thank goodness the resident at 170 Prospect St. in Merchantville NJ 08109 wasn’t an O scale modeler (I hear they’re in N scale).

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s